Friday, October 7, 2011

What Is Cryptorchidism?





Emesis
Rummaere
Anastomosis
Gavage
Hypotonic

I have encountered a whole new language immersed in this world, the world of medical-ease. Prior to the c-section surgery that brought my beautiful boy into this world, I had never, ever been hospitalized. Can't say I hated hospitals because hate for me is a strong emotion saved for someone, something that done me wrong. Hospitals, per se, had never done me wrong. Honestly the most exposure I had with hospitals was General Hospital, yes the soap opera of which I was an addict in my late teens. Also, Marcus Welby, Chicago Hope, Nurse Jackie. You get the picture, TV Land fed my paranoia. I truly carried the prejudice of a good vs.evil schema. There were a few good doctors trying to make a difference fighting the bureaucratic bloat of the behemoth for profit hospital. Jeez. Yes, TV was my babysitter and look, I turned out OK except for a few, deeply ingrained delusions.

Emesis, to vomit. Anastomosis, I was able to dissect this one thanks to my origin of words class freshmen year of college (LOVED that class)...' ana is to reanimate, mosis is to make move'. It was Aero's 'big surgery', the reanimation of his esophagus. Gavage, introduction of nutritive material into the stomach by means of a tube, usually threaded through the nose.  It is a method for feeding, typically a preemie newborn who has not yet learned to suckle not do they have the strength. Hypotonic, having low tone, floppy and flexible. Babies with Down syndrome are usually born with low tone. This is why they reach milestones at a later date than typical babies. It takes them awhile to build the coordination of muscle.

Rummaere? I heard this term used quite often in the NICU. It confounded me. I thought it of french origin. My 3 years of high school french were to far behind me to be of assistance. I had to listen closely as it was only used in description of other babies, not Aero. "He is now on rummaere", questioned the nurse? Oh, maybe it is a pharmaceutical? They were talking in particular about Fritz, Aero's toe to toe roommate. Fritz wore a canula (a transparent tubing that provides oxygen delivery). He had been on for quite some time. I know his parents, Heather and James were fervently hoping that his lungs would get stronger soon so Fritz could join Milo, his twin brother, at home. Milo had been sprung a few weeks earlier. That morning the respiratory technician had been fussing at Fritz's bedside. She turned to nurse Carol and replied, "yes, he is on rummaere". Rummaere, rummaere, rummaere...lightbulb flash on and resounding slap to the head. Room air!!! Fritz was now on room air. He was off the oxygen, cannula bye bye, one step closer to  cuddling with Mom, Dad & Milo.

Cryptorchidism? Big word meaning undescended testes. In the laundry list of Aero's challenges at birth, this was at the bottom (that is a really bad pun). Visited urologist today. No testes in the scrotum. What does this mean? Surgery for Aero, again. This is reconnaissance surgery, threading a camera through the belly button to see if they are still in the stomach (where they start in utero). If so, they bring 'em down. If they can't be found, well, that means hormone therapy for Aero before he hits puberty. Your prayers, magic & juju have been so powerful. Please send good vibes that Aero's family jewels are playing hide and seek in his stomach. I have always believed that visualization creates reality. I am envisioning Aero shaving for the 1st time, sneaking my razor. I am hearing Aero with a deeply timbered voice, hairbrush in hand, serenading himself in the mirror. I am envisioning Aero with underarm hair and urging him to buy deodorant! I'll let you know when surgery is scheduled.

No comments:

Post a Comment