Saturday, October 1, 2011

31 for 21



First post on the committed path of a blog for every day in the month of October. The goal of 31 for 21 is to raise awareness for Trisomy 21, more commonly known as Down syndrome. Trisomy 21 refers to three chromosones (tri-somy) on the 21st chromosone. This extra chromosonal material is therefore present in every single cell of Aero. How this affects our life will be the fodder for this month's posts.

It is 9:43 pm and I had thought this would be a good time to post each evening. I am already having 2nd thoughts regarding that decision. I am freakin' exhausted by this time of the day.

Tomorrow we will participate in Buddy Walk which is another awareness endeavor for Trisomy 21. They are held in most major cities and attended by members of the Down syndrome community, their families and friends.

I am bracing myself for an emotional day. I am scared. I love my son with a fierceness that I did not think possible. I worry and fret over little and not so little things, mostly involving his future and my part in laying a solid foundation so he can enjoy an independent life if that is his choice. Tomorrow, I may get a glimpse of Aero's future.

How much of what I see will inspire me or add fuel to my worry pyre, I don't know at this point. What I do know is that all I can do is continue down this meandering, mysterious path and allow my heart to just grow bigger and bigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment