Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Challenge



Hi. It has been a looooonnnnnggggg time since I posted on this blog. 

It is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month and many families with children that have T21 accept the challenge in October of 31 for 21; a blog post a day in October to raise awareness for our beautiful kids.

I did the challenge in October 2011. I sat out last year because we had just moved and life was topsy, turvy transition. But, here we are now, stable, safe, secure, warm, happy. No excuses to not let you peak into our day to day life. 

In the pic above, Aero is doing what he has been doing quite often for the past month, trying to figure how to stand up. He is not walking, yet. Therapists tell me he will not really attempt to hurl his body into space until he masters standing independently.

O.K. Only thing is that he is really stubborn. He refuses to let me show him how to do it by squatting first. Aero rarely hangs out on his knees, let alone squat. So, my fear is that he will just hang out in down dog for the next few years letting momma carry him, everywhere, feeling so much the strain on my back and knees.

Kids with Trisomy 21 our definitely on their own timeline. It is a necessary grace to fully realize and accept this. In some ways, it makes the journey that much sweeter because you savor every, single, little micro movement on the way. 

So, if you can not beat 'em, join 'em. Down dog is an excellent stretch for my aching back.

No comments:

Post a Comment